Saturday, February 11, 2012

Rejoice in the Lord


I can never read Job 23 without this song coming to mind...a byproduct of being raised on "Patch, the Pirate," I'm sure...so I have been expecting its appearance as I have been making my way through Job's story. 

"But He knows the way I take; when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold." ~ Job 23:10

After years of Sunday School and VBS and church camp, this verse and song are imprinted on my memory. But this morning they were given a fresh perspective. You see, I've been having a lot of conversations about trials lately...

God never moves without purpose or plan

Trials that would have me doubting God's purpose... 

When trying His servant and molding a man.

Trials that would have made me want to fight God's molding hand...

Give thanks to the LORD though your testing seems long;

Trials that would have left me more tempted to complain than to give thanks...

In darkness He giveth a song.

Trials that would have left me more focused on the darkness than a song.

I could not see through the shadows ahead;

I am grateful that God puts people in our lives...

So I looked at the cross of my Savior instead.

Who continually point us back to the cross of His Son.

I bowed to the will of the Master that day;

People who show me what a life submitted to the Master looks like.

Then peace came and tears fled away.

People more focused on the peace from above than the pain of the past.

Now I can see testing comes from above;

I am grateful for the reminder that God sends temporary trials...

God strengthens His children and purges in love.

For our permanent good.

My Father knows best, and I trust in His care;

I am grateful for the reminder that I serve a God who always has my best interest at heart...

Through purging more fruit I will bear.

Even if it is accomplished through the pain of His fire.

O Rejoice in the LORD

May I never forget to rejoice in all circumstances.

He makes no mistake,

May I always remember that when things don't go my way, God is not the one making a mistake...

He knoweth the end of each path that I take,

When I don't know what lies ahead, God does...

For when I am tried

That we are promised trials will come...

And purified,

But God will use them for our sanctification, if we allow Him to...

I shall come forth as gold

And then, finally, we will be a vessel fit for the Master's use.





No comments:

Post a Comment