Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Uproarious Nations

I don't know if it is because it is tucked in behind Psalm 1, which gets so much attention, or if it is because of all the insanity going on throughout the world today that made it seem new, but I don't ever remember paying much attention to the 2nd Psalm.

Why are the nations in an uproar and the peoples devising a vain thing?

But I read that sentence and I had to stop and ask...why are the nations in an uproar? Iraq, Israel, Syria, Egypt, Russia, Ukraine, Iran, North Korea...and just when you think one of them is about to calm down, another area moves to take its place.

But it isn't just the places with active conflict, even in the more "western" nations where we think of things being relatively calm, there is a steady stream of vanity. I am not referring to excessive self-absorption or egotism, although there is plenty of that. I mean the constant stream of worthless and meaningless actions, trying to make ourselves feel good instead of simply doing what is good.

The kings of the earth take their stand and the rulers take counsel together against the Lord and against His Anointed, saying, "Let us tear their fetters apart and cast away their cords from us!"

While I know that the specific reference to the Anointed here is Christ, the Messiah (and I am not trying to make this say something it isn't), in light of all that is happening today, my brain jumped to Israel when I read this...so many nations of the world conspiring together against one people. Or even in other places, Christians and the Christian ideals that have governed our lives for so long. "If only we can tear away and destroy these antiquated and restrictive laws and mores, then we will truly be free, then we can live as we want." But, in reality, when you attack the Lord's anointed, are you not also attacking the Anointed?

He who sits in the heavens laughs, the Lord scoffs at them. Then He will speak to them in His anger and terrify them in His fury, saying,

Like a parent who may silently chuckle at a child futilely trying to free himself from the protective boundaries placed around him, until he reaches that point where damage may be done.

"But as for Me, I have installed My King upon Zion, My holy mountain."

My many misplaced commas aside, this is why I love grammar...you can change the entire meaning of statement simply with the tense of verb that you choose.

Not, "I had installed"...I put Him there, but He's not there any longer.
Not, "I will install"...at some random point in the future, He'll show up.
But, "I have installed"...I put Him there, I gave Him this place to rule and He is still there, still in control.

"I will surely tell of the decree of the Lord: He said to Me, 'You are My Son, today I have begotten You. Ask of Me, and I will surely give the nations as Your inheritance, and the very ends of the earth as Your possession. You shall break them with a rod of iron, You shall shatter them like earthenware.'"

The inheritance is His to claim, in the circumstances and timing of choosing, and when He does the strivings and wars will be like children fighting their battles with twigs for weapons and their momma's good china for a shield.

Now therefore, O kings, show discernment; take warning, O judges of the earth.

Unfortunately, too many kings and judges are overwhelmed with their own sense of importance to give heed to any warning. But what about me...

Worship the Lord with reverence and rejoice with trembling.

Do I use this time to worship and rejoice...

Do homage to the Son, that He not become angry, and you perish in the way, for His wrath may soon be kindled.

Does the way I live my life pay homage to the Son, the Anointed, the King?

How blessed are all who take refuge in Him!

"I will say to the Lord, "My refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment