Sunday, June 26, 2011

Being still...


 “Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for Him” (Psalm 37:7)

…One of my all-time favorite verses, in one of my all-time favorite chapters, of one of my all-time favorite books. Not because it fills me with warm, fuzzies every time I read it, but because it serves as the slap to the back of the head that I so often need.

This may come as a surprise (or, ok, maybe not), but I am not a patient person. I like things done my way, done in my time, please don’t interrupt, and whatever you do…
don’t make me wait!

...perhaps this explains my string of speeding tickets since moving to South Carolina… =/

When things are getting frustrating, or out-of-control, or beyond my understanding….which is at least [24 hours a day – 8 hours for sleeping] 16 times a day…I hear these words floating through the back of my mind. Sometimes, like tonight, I stop to listen…

Be – To exist or live
Still – Remaining in place or at rest
Before – In the presence of
The – Used to indicate a specific entity
Lord – Almighty, Creator, Divine, God
And – In addition to all of that we aren’t done yet
Wait – To remain inactive until something expected happens
Patiently – To bear provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, pain, etc., with fortitude and calm and without complaint, anger, or the like
For – The object or purpose of
Him – A pronoun referring to the proper noun “Lord”

So, I am supposed to exist or live at a place of rest in the presence of the Almighty Creator and remain inactive despite provocation, annoyance, misfortune, delay, hardship, or pain, expressing fortitude and calm without complaint or anger because whatever the situation, God, the Divine One, has already promised to make Himself known in it.

…Huh, I think that’s something I can live with.

…at least until the next time I’m following a truck going 45 on a two-lane road…

No comments:

Post a Comment